An orphaned team or an orphaned group is one with no assigned owners or with unlicensed and/or deactivated owners. A team or group can end up with no owners when users are deleted from Microsoft 365 or the Azure Active Directory.
ShareGate Apricot helps you assign owners to orphaned teams and groups in your environment through the team or group details and as a bulk action. The app will provide a list of 3 suggested team or group owners, based on their Teams and Outlook activity.
- How-to find orphaned teams or groups
- How-to fix orphaned teams or groups
How-to find orphaned teams or groups
The app crawls for orphaned teams and groups once every 24 hours. This information is displayed on the Manage page.
Select the tile Orphaned teams or Orphaned groups, or use the filters button on the top-left to apply the filter No owners under Number of team owners.
How-to fix orphaned teams or groups
Team or group details
In the Overview tab of the team or group details, the app shows:
- The team or group's previous owner.
- When that owner was deactivated and/or unlicensed.
- A list of 3 recommendations for new owner(s).
Select owner(s) from the list of recommendations, pick someone else from your organization or promote a current member to owner. The owner(s) will receive an email indicating that they have been selected as the new owner of this team or group.
- Select the Manage tab.
- Use the radio buttons to filter between your tenant's Teams or all Groups.
- Select the tile Orphaned teams or Orphaned groups.
- Add a checkmark in the box located to the left of the team or group names you want to address.
- From the bulk action menu in the footer, click the Add owner button.
- In the Add owner(s) pop-up, select owner(s) from the recommendations.
Tip: To select a specific user, click + Or pick someone else.
- Click Confirm.
The owner(s) will receive an email indicating that they have been selected as the new owner of those teams or groups.