Microsoft 365 allows you to share files with people from outside your organization. ShareGate helps you to manage external sharing and guest access in your Microsoft 365 environment.
External sharing is an excellent way to extend work to partners, suppliers, vendors, but it's always good to be mindful of the risks associated with external sharing, such as:
- Sharing sensitive content to the wrong person.
- Sharing of content with other unintended external users.
- Changes made by external users.
- External users who no longer require access to your teams or groups.
For more information on Microsoft's external sharing features, see:
- External sharing overview
- Share Sharepoint files or folders
- See who a file is shared within OneDrive Or SharePoint
Using the app
Microsoft's organization-level external sharing setting can impact your ability to use the app's security features. For example, the external sharing policy for your teams and groups must be set to Site content can be shared with: Anyone for external sharing links to be created in Microsoft, and to be detected by the app.