Microsoft 365 enables you to easily share files with people from outside your organization. ShareGate Apricot helps you manage external sharing in Microsoft 365.
External sharing makes content available to someone outside of your organization.
External sharing is a great way to extend work to partners, suppliers, vendors. It's always good to mindful of the risks associated to external sharing, such as:
- Sharing sensitive content to the wrong persons.
- Sharing of content with other unintended external users.
- Changes made by external users.
For security and compliance reasons, businesses should control who has access to what. External sharing can become a business risk as much as it is an asset. It is an aspect of Microsoft 365 governance that is essential to control.
Here is more information from Microsoft on the topic:
- External Sharing Overview
- Share Sharepoint Files Or Folders
- See Who A File Is Shared With In Onedrive Or Sharepoint