With the Inactivity detection policy, you can set a threshold for the amount of time a team or group can be inactive (have no user activity) before action needs to be taken.
Once a team or group is flagged as inactive, the app will automatically send a Teams chatbot or email notification to the owners. From the notification, the owner is able to decide if they want to keep, delete, or archive their inactive team or group.
Note: Automating the Inactivity detection policy applies to teams and groups that will become inactive in the future. For information on how owners can take action on the teams and groups in your environment that are already inactive, see Ask owners about inactivity.
- The Inactive detection policy automation is enabled, as in step (6) below.
- Teams or groups that are inactive for longer than your defined period will become present in your tenant.
- Optional: An Azure storage account has been set up in the Settings.
Note: The option to Archive a team or group is only available if you have set up an Azure storage to store your data. If you have not yet set up a storage account, owners can only choose to keep or delete their teams or groups. For more information, see Archive overview.
Create a default Inactivity detection policy
The default policy is used for all your teams and groups that will become inactive in the future and that do not have a purpose tag.
To create your default policy:
- Select the Setting tab.
- Select Policies from the menu.
- In the Lifecyle - Inactivity detection section, click in the After X days field.
- Use the up and down arrows, or enter a number of days after which a team or group should be deemed inactive in your environment.
- Click anywhere outside the field to save your choice.
- Toggle on Ask owners automatically for the inactive policy.
- Use the radio buttons to set Microsoft Teams chatbot or Email as your preferred Communications method.
Create an inactivity threshold for purpose tags
Using purpose tags, you can set a custom threshold to detect if a team or group is inactive based on its business purpose.
For example, a departmental group or team may not need its activity verified as often as a time-based project that could be archived as soon as the project is finished.
To set a custom inactivity threshold for your purpose tags:
- Select the Settings tab.
- Select Categorization from the menu.
- Scroll to Manage your purpose tags.
- Set the number of days for the Inactivity threshold.