With the Inactivity detection policy, you can set a threshold for the amount of time a team or group can be inactive (have no user activity) before action needs to be taken.
Once a team or group is flagged as inactive, the app will automatically send a Teams chatbot or email notification to the owner(s). From the notification, the owner is able to decide if they want to archive, keep, or delete their inactive team or group.
- How-to create a default Inactivity detection policy
- How-to create an inactivity threshold for purpose tags
- About notifications
- The Inactive detection policy automation is enabled, as in step (6) below.
- Teams or groups that are inactive for longer than your defined threshold will become present in your tenant.
Note: Automating the Inactivity detection policy applies to teams and groups that will become inactive in the future. For information on how to request owners take action on teams and groups that are already inactive, see Ask owners about inactivity.
How-to create a default Inactivity detection policy
The default policy is used for all your teams and groups without a purpose tag. To create your default policy:
- Select the Setting tab.
- Select Policies from the menu.
- In the Lifecyle - Inactivity detection section, click in the After X days field.
- Use the up and down arrows, or enter a number of days after which a team or group should be deemed inactive in your environment.
- Click anywhere outside the field to save your choice.
- Toggle on Ask owners automatically for the inactive policy.
- Use the radio buttons to set Microsoft Teams chatbot or Email as your preferred Communications method.
How-to create an inactivity threshold for purpose tags
Using purpose tags, you can set a custom threshold to detect if a team or group is inactive based on its business purpose.
For example, a departmental group or team may not need its activity verified as often as a time-based project that could be archived as soon as the project is finished.
To set a custom inactivity threshold for your purpose tags:
- Select the Settings tab.
- Select Categorization from the menu.
- Scroll to Manage your purpose tags.
- Set the number of days for the Inactivity threshold.
You can review the Inactivity detection notifications article for information on how the app communicates with your owners.
For information and visibility on how owners take action on inactivity, see Take action on inactivity.