With the external sharing policy, you can set the amount of time and the start date for your owners to review all the externally shared links in their teams and groups.
Based on your schedule, the app will send notifications to the owner(s).
From these notifications, an owner will be able to review the external sharing links and remove all the unnecessary or suspicious links.
To send external sharing reviews, you need the following:
- Teams or groups with external sharing links are present in your tenant.
- The teams and groups are active and entrusted to owners.
- The external sharing policy is enabled.
How to set your external sharing policy
- Select Settings in the menu.
- Select the Policies tab.
- Click on the starting date.
- Select the date at which you wish the external sharing reviews to start.
- Click Apply.
- Click on the number of days in the right corner of the Security section.
- Enter the number of days you want to pass between your reoccurring reviews.
- Click on the checkmark to save the change.
Note: You can click on Preview email sent to owners to have an idea of what the email will look like and Set email sender to change the incoming email address of your notifications.
About notifications sent to owners
You can review the Teams chatbot and email notifications article for general information about how the app communicates with your owners.
Nothing happens to the team or group if an owner does not answer the email or chatbot.
An external sharing review lasts for 14 days from the day it started, meaning that entrusted group owners have fourteen days to review and validate the links in their groups. Owners will receive the first notification at the start of the policy, followed by a reminder seven days later if they haven't completed the review for all their groups yet.
External sharing review notifications expire in 7 days for security reasons. After this time, the owner cannot access the review from that notification.
You will receive an email digest with summary statistics after the review period. This will include information on both complete and incomplete reviews.
Note: The external sharing review exists on a first-come, first-served basis. As soon as an owner reviews a team or group, the other owners will see that the team or group has already been reviewed.