Access the Group Categorization option in Settings, and later assign group purposes directly via the Groups page.
Group purposes let you to categorize your groups and understand how they’re being used by group members. As a starting point, you can use our default group purposes, but you can also create your own.
Knowing why these groups were created helps you apply the right governance policies.
- Click Settings.
- Under Group categorization, click Manage.
- You will now see a window titled Manage group purposes.
- Click on any existing group purpose to edit/delete them or click Create new to create a new group purpose.
- Department: Used for an ongoing project or collaboration between employees of a department only (i.e. Marketing team).
- External project: Used for projects that involve collaboration with people outside the organization (i.e. collaboration with an external vendor).
- Internal project: Used for projects that involve collaboration with people inside the organization (i.e. implementation of a new system).
- Office location: Used to gather employees working in different locations (i.e. NYC office).
- Particular topic: Used to communicate and collaborate on specific initiatives or topics (i.e. holiday party).
- When you select a purpose, you will be brought to the Edit group purpose window.
- Enter a Title and a Description.
Tip: For better visibility, you are able to also choose a color to distinguish each group purpose.
- Click Save changes.
Note: If you decide to edit or delete a group purpose that has already been applied to existing groups, this will retroactively affect these groups with the new changes.
See also Choose a group purpose.